SESLHD Occupational Therapy
Occupational Therapy encompasses a person’s ability to function within their environment and perform the activities they need or want to do on a daily basis. Across South Eastern Sydney Local Health District (SESLHD), our Occupational Therapists work with a range of people of all ages and abilities in an inpatient, outpatient and community setting. There are more than 170 Occupational Therapists and 11 allied health assistants that make up SESLHD Occupational Therapy.
Occupational Therapists look at the whole person, identifying areas of dysfunction due to illness, injury or disability and developing remedial or adaptive strategies to enable you to participate in life.
To provide world best practice in the delivery of Occupational Therapy services in SESLHD through:
- Proactive Communication
- Creative Connection
- Brave Innovation
- Setting Direction
In SESLHD, our Occupational Therapists provide the following:
- Assessments of a person’s biomechanical, sensorimotor, cognitive and psychosocial functioning
- Development of treatment plan based on goals identified with the person to target above dysfunction
- Implementation of evidence based treatment plans
- Functional assessment and retraining for:
- Activities of daily living e.g. showering, dressing, grooming, toileting
- Instrumental activities of daily living e.g. cooking, cleaning, medication management.
- Assessment of and implementation of management strategies for cognitive impairments
- Comprehensive home assessments including provision of home modifications where appropriate
- Provision of equipment
- Provision of education and training for person and their carers
- Group therapy including falls prevention, upper limb therapy, cardiac rehabilitation and Constraint Induced Movement Therapy.
- Discharge planning as part of the multidisciplinary team.
- Seating clinic: Prince of Wales Hospital
- Hand therapy: St George Hospital & Sydney, Sydney Eye Hospital
- Lymphoedema Service: St George Hospital
- Driving assessment and rehabilitation: Calvary Hospital.