General Medicine - 2 East
How we can help you (what we do)
The Sydney and Sydney Eye Hospital General Medical Ward (2 East) provides 24 hour inpatient services.
2 East is located on Level 2 of the Clinical Services Building.
Who we care for
The General Medical Ward provides care for patients who are transferred from the Sydney and Sydney Eye Hospital Emergency Department, or transferred from Prince of Wales Hospial.
The General Medical Ward comprises of:
- Dedicated Specialists including Respiratory, Cardiologists, Endocrinologists, Gastroenterologists, Rheumatologists and Neurologists
- Drug and Alcohol consultants and Geriatricians are available on Wednesdays
- Psychiatric specialists are available on Tuesdays and Fridays
- Registrars and residents who are available to speak with you in the unit to address any concerns you may have
- Nurse Unit Manager who is responsible for the management of the unit is available Monday to Friday during business hours
- Registered Nurses, Enrolled Nurses and Assistants in Nursing are dedicated to provide excellent quality patient care every day. They are supported in this by a full time in hours Clinical Nurse Educator and After Hours Clinical Nurse Educator. A General Medical Clinical Nurse Consultant provides advice on patient management
- A physiotherapist is on duty on 2 East Monday - Friday 0800-1600 and on call weekends and public holidays 0800-1600.
- Administration staff who will assist you with the admission process and answer any questions you may have about Medicare and private health insurance.
- Ancillary staff that assist with transferring of patients from emergency department to and from other department.
We work collaboratively with a variety of SESLHD specialty units including Drug and Alcohol, Eyes and Hands, Psychiatric service and Allied health. All our work is in partnership with your local doctors, hospitals and community organisations.
We routinely partner with our patients, families or carers. Should any concerns arise where patients, families or carers believe that the care provided has not sufficiently addressed the patient’s condition they may call a dedicated REACH program and escalate concerns initiating a care response.
The General Medical Ward is open 24hours seven days a week. We have a 4 Bed Close Observation Unit where patients are monitored closely for deterioration. We provide services for Medical patients, orthopaedic post-surgical procedure from POWH, Drugs and Alcohol, Surgical Hands and Eyes patients who requiring cardiac monitoring or medical intervention. If assessed as needing in hospital care our patients are admitted following presentation to SSEH emergency department or are transferred to us from POWH and doctors rooms.
On the admission to the ward, nursing staff will provide a welcome package and explain our service to you and your family. The Multidisciplinary team are available to assist with the discharge planning starting from the day you are admitted to the hospital. The physio therapists will assess your mobility and the social worker may assist with social support depending on your needs.
We are open 24 hours; our vising hours from 10:00hrs (10am) to 20:00hrs (8pm) daily
How long will I stay in the hospital?
This depends on your progress, the medical team will update you every day.
|Sydney and Sydney Eye Hospital||(02 0382 7111|
|2 East Ward phone number||(02) 9382 7267 or (02) 9382 7218|
|General Medicine Clinical Nurse Consultant||(02) 9382 7576|
Professional interpreters are available and are free of charge if you require assistance in understanding the procedure. While a family member or relative may be with you, all treatment including the consent should be through a professional interpreter. If you require an interpreter to contact us, please call the Translating Interpreter service on 13 14 50.
We are a teaching hospital and you may be asked to be involved in research or for a student to be present on your treatment journey in Sydney/Sydney Eye Hospital. You have the right to say no. If you do so this will not impact in any way on the services we provide. We align our practices with the Clinical Excellence Commission and Evidence Based Practice.
The General Medical Ward (2 East) is located on level two of the Clinical Services Building, Sydney and Sydney Eye Hospital.
Enter via the main hospital foyer, take the lift to level two and turn left as you exit the lift then turn left. Please check in with the clerical staff on arrival.
On-site parking is available through METRO parking. The entrance is off hospital road. For additional information about parking please contact either the Nurse Unit Manager or nursing staff in the General Medical Unit. There is also metered parking along hospital road. For short periods of time of 5-15 min, escorts are allowed to park in the turning circle on hospital grounds while collecting patients.
Information line: For information about connections, destinations and timetables for government buses, trains and ferries in and around Sydney call 13 15 00 or check the NSW Transport Trip planner website http://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/tripplanner/index.html
Train: Martin Place station is directly opposite the hospital and St James station is at the end of Macquarie Street.
Bus: Bus No. 200 stops directly opposite the hospital in Macquarie Street.
Ferries: Circular Quay ferry terminal is 10 minutes’ walk from the hospital.