We acknowledge Sutherland Hospital is on land traditionally owned by the Dharawal people of the Eora nation. We pay our respects to elders past and present.
We welcome all people requiring care and their families, carers and friends to our hospital.
We ask all people coming to our hospital ‘Are you living as or known as an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander in your community?’ If you answer yes, we will contact Samantha Gifford, our Aboriginal Hospital Liaison Officer (AHLO) and let her know you are here.
Coming to hospital can be a difficult time. Samantha is available to have a yarn if you are finding it difficult being away from your home and family, if you are dealing with sorry business or feel a bit lonely or anxious.
Samantha is part of our Social Work team and is available to provide you the following support
- Provide you with and your family with emotional, social and cultural support
- Advocate and liaise with other staff on your behalf
- Provide information about hospital services
- Provide information on your rights and responsibilities
- Organise referrals to other services (eg Aboriginal, Legal, Child Care Protection)
- Help you get financial assistance if you need it (eg pensions, benefits, IPTAAS (Isolated Patient’s Travel and Accommodation Scheme))
- Advice on accommodation if you are travelling to Sydney from the country
- Help you and the social worker to fill in an application for housing
- Work with the hospital team to organise nursing, hospice or respite care if you need it
- Organise for you to get help if you need it when you get home. This includes help with housework, shopping, meals on wheels or any equipment you might need.
You can read our brochure for more information.
Samantha Gifford - Aboriginal Hospital Liaison Officer
8:00am - 4:30pm Monday to Friday
How We Can Help You
- Changes related to an illness or disability
- Supporting you if you have a life limiting illness
- Anxiety about your hospital stay and support for your family while you are in hospital
- Offer support in times of stress, distress
- Coping with loss, grief and trauma
- Planning for when you leave hospital
- Accessing Respite or Permanent Residential Aged Care
- Providing information about services and other community resources: including psychological support, aged care support services, Centrelink, Housing NSW, NDIS, Isolated Patients Travel and Accommodation Assistance Scheme (IPTAAS)
- We can also provide you with information about other agencies and services.
We also provide a service to outpatients who attend the Oncology Day Clinic, the Pre-Admission Clinic (planned surgery) and the Antenatal Clinic.
- My Aged Care
- Carer Gateway
- Planning Ahead (Wills, Power of Attorney, Enduring Guardianship, Advance Care Planning)
- Youth Services
- Sutherland Shire Community Support Services Directory
- Isolated Patients Travel and Accommodation Assistance Scheme
- Legal Aid Health Justice Partnership
Monday to Friday - We are available 8:00am - 4:30pm
Weekends and Afterhours - We provide a limited weekend service and an after-hours crisis on-call social work service, if you need our help outside the times listed above then please speak with your nurse or doctor.