Medical Oncology

How we can help you

We provide care to people with cancer who are living in the community or staying in our Hospital. Our team of medical specialists use the latest research. We work with cancer care coordinators, radiation oncology, palliative care and nursing to provide holistic care for our patients.
We provide:
  • Chemotherapy - medicines that destroy cancer cells.
  • Immunotherapy - a treatment that helps your bodies immune system fight cancer.
  • Hormonal therapy for cancers that grow in response to your bodies hormones. This treatment uses synthetic hormones to block your bodies natural hormones. This helps to reduce the size and slow down the spread of the cancer.
  • Targeted therapy - medicines that work on specific features of cancer cells to stop it growing and spreading.
We provide chemotherapy services to people living in the community through our Haematology Oncology Day Centre (HODC). Here we provide short stay treatments and patient education. Our senior nursing staff will work with our specialists to deliver your treatment.
Our medical specialists see new patients and review on the progress of current patients in our outpatient clinics. They are located on Level 2 of the Nelune Comprehensive Cancer Centre.
If you need higher dose of chemotherapy or more supportive care, you may need to stay in our Hospital. We have a ward on Level 4 of the Parkes Building (Ward Parkes 4 East).

Our physicians include:

  • Professor Michael Friedlander
  • Professor David Goldstein
  • Associate Professor Craig Lewis
  • Dr Melvin Chin
  • Dr Elizabeth Hovey
  • Dr Siobhan O’Neill
  • Dr Yeh Chen Lee
  • Dr Charlotte Lemech

If you live in the South East Sydney region and have a suspected or confirmed cancer you may be referred by your local family doctor or a medical specialist to use our services. Please request your doctor to send us your referral letter together with all relevant test results.

Once we have received a completed referral, we will send you a confirmation appointment letter, which will tell you where your appointment is located and what information you should bring with you.

If you need to change or cancel your appointment, please call us on 9382 5111.

  • Current Medicare card or Veteran Affairs card
  • Any Health Care Card, Pensioner Concession Card or Commonwealth Seniors Health Care Card
  • Insurer details (eg workers compensation, public liability or third party)
  • Your private health fund membership card if you are currently insured with a private health fund
  • Recent X-rays or medical images and their reports, if applicable
  • Activities to keep you entertained while waiting (for example, a book, music player with headphones, crosswords). There is also a television and magazines available in the waiting area.

Please let us know if you need an interpreter. You can contact us telephoning the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) on 131 450. Tell the operator what language you speak and then ask the interpreter to set up a telephone conversation between you, an interpreter, and the healthcare professional you want to speak with.

We are a teaching hospital and student doctors or nurses may be involved and supervised by senior staff during your visit. You have the right to say no. If you do so, this will no impact in any way on the services we will provide. We will discuss with you any research projects that are relevant to your condition and whether you would like to participate.